Prince of Peace Lutheran Church

"Behold, how good and pleasant it is for brethren
to dwell together in unity."                     Psalm 133:1
3101 CR 417
Taylor, TX 76574

The First 50 Years

Wuthrich Hill, Texas
Increasing membership demanded a larger place of worship. An additional 2.5 acres was purchased from Mathis Wuthrich at $8.00 per acre for the site of a new church. This 40 X 26 foot frame building was dedicated on May 31, 1896.
One exceptionally large family to attend churh was that of Henry Kuhl. His second wife, Agnes Belz, is pictured here dressed in black. Henry was born in 1866 in Hinter Pomen, Germany and immigrated with his parents to the U.S. abt. 1893, settling between Wuthrich Hill and Waterloo in 1896. He had a total of 6 children with his first wife Augusta Berg, but only two reach adulthood. With Agnes he had a total of 10 children.
Pastor Appel accepted a call to Immanuel Lutheran Church and agreed to preside of worship services at both congregations. Services were now held twice a month at St. James.

 Significant firsts for the St. James congregation included:

  • Pastor: J. Appel, 1895 - 1901
  • Baptism: Alfred Andreas, March 31, 1896
  • Marriage: Paul Werchan and Emma Meier, December 22, 1898
  • Confirmation class: Willie Priesmeyer, Emma Priesmeyer, Henry Meyer and Malinda Meiske, April 19, 1896
  • Parsonage: a home, barn, stable, smokehouse and cistern were constructed in 1903

Confirmation Class of 1903

On October 25, 1942, the congregation petitioned for discharge from the Texas Synod. This request was granted, and on May 18, 1943, St. James became part of the American Lutheran Church (ALC).